Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Brand new stuff

Well, this is my first blog.  Possibly my only blog, as I have no inspiration to be a writer.   However, over the years it has dawned on me that it would be a good idea to have a place to post pictures of stuff that I've sewed, so people can see them. 
First, a little history.
I've been sewing for a long, long time.  My mother started teaching me to hand-sew when I was 4 years old.  I remember that we made matching navy blue gingham mother-daughter aprons.   She chose the gingham so that I would be able to space my stitches evenly.  My mother was rather clever that way.  My sister and I had quite a few mom-made clothes, because she loved sewing for girls, and she was very talented, too.
I used a sewing machine for the first time at 8 years old, when I was in 4-H.  After that, the sky was the limit.  My mother helped me when needed, and encouraged me a lot to keep up with it.   So that's how it all started. 

In no particular order, here are some of the things that I've sewn.
This is my chili pepper purse.  I love this purse. It's just the right size for all of my crap, and has pockets inside and out, for organization purposes.   This is LazyGirl Designs, the City Bag.
 My friend loved my chili pepper purse so much that I made her a doggy one for a present.

I call this my Wild Thing Coat.  There's ruffles down the front and on each cuff.  It's very pretty, but being polar fleece, kind of cold when the wind blows.  

The polar fleece blanky on my bed.  It's wonderfully warm when the weather is cold.  This is just two panels sewn together, with a 3rd pattern on the sides to make it wider.  Simple, yet very effective, and looks really nice!

I think this is enough for one day.  There will be more later on.

2 comments:

  1. They are lovely things Jane. As soon as I finish my course I am getting back to sewing, I really miss it.

    I love the chilli pepper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start Jane. I love the blanket on the bed and the purses are great. The coat looks nice and would be nice for a cool evening. I learned basic sewing in middle school and never really liked it much, but clothes can be made so much cheaper than buying. I even have a sewing machine, although I'm sure it needs servicing.

    ReplyDelete