Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Story of the Bears

First of all, here are two more bears, made from the same fur as the last one.  These are for two more new little girls.

Now for the story:  A couple of years ago, I noticed that I had a whole tub full of fake fur pieces, leftover from making stuff for my nieces.  I was actively trying to reduce my fabric collection, so I wanted to get rid of a bunch, but I didn't want to throw it away (wasteful) or give it away.  So I bought a Carol's Zoo pattern, which was the simplest (yet cute) teddy bear pattern I'd ever sewn.  I chose the 9" bear, the smallest one.

Then I found safety eyes and noses on a couple of websites (Oddly enough, I couldn't find ANY locally!), and ordered a bunch.  Somehow something got crossed and I ended up buying HUNDREDS of these things, so now I have a gallon-size ziploc baggy full.  Oh well, I won't have to buy more eyes and noses for pretty much the rest of my life.

So, having everything assembled, I started making bears.  I never counted, and got very few pictures, but over time I must have made a hundred.  I gave a couple to friends, to friends of friends, but the bulk of them went to my sister, who was working as an ER nurse in the area.  She took them into the ER and gave them out to scared little children. She says that they were very much appreciated.

 The problem was solved.  I used up the fur, and helped a bunch of scared, unhappy children.  Win-win.  Every so often, when I catch fake fur on sale, I pick up another piece with that thought in mind. My sister no longer works in the area, but I'm sure any ER will still love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment